Before riding your jet ski or boat read the following
- Check the weather: Always check local weather conditions before you leave the marina. If you notice dark clouds, rough winds, or sudden drops in temperature while you’re on the water, play it safe by heading back to the dock or marina.
- Follow a predeparture checklist: Proper boating safety means being prepared for any possibility on the water. From compliance with fire safety regulations to fueling up correctly, following a predeparture checklist ensures you remember all of the important tasks
- Use common sense: Boating is a fun adventure, but you always have to pay attention. This means operating at a safe speed at all times, especially in crowded areas. Steer clear of large vessels and watercraft that have a hard time stopping or turning. Also respect buoys and other navigational aids.
- Designate an assistant skipper: Make sure someone else onboard knows how to operate the boat in case the primary navigator is injured or incapacitated.
- Develop a plan: Since Texas lakes are so large, it’s important to inform someone (such as the staff at your jet ski shop or marina) of where you’re going and how long you anticipate being on the water. Your plan could also include the number of passengers, their names, and a few phone numbers, as well as the types of communication and signal equipment that are onboard.
- Use life jackets: Make sure that your family and friends are safe by putting life jackets on before heading into the water and keeping them on the entire time.
- Avoid alcohol: Practice boating safety at all times by avoiding alcohol. Studies have shown that the effects of alcohol are exacerbated by the sun and the wind. The probability of an accident doubles when alcohol is involved.
- Learn to swim: If you’re going to be around the water, you need to know how to swim. Local organizations such as the American Red Cross offer training for all ages and abilities.
- Take a boating course: One of the best ways to stay safe is to take a boating safety class. The easiest way to do this is through a free online tutorial. - Click Here -